Reddit Ghost Ban is a common occurrence for several Reddit users. Reddit is a fantastic source of traffic with its huge user base. Several Reddit marketers, however, fail to follow the guidelines set by the admins. As a result, they end up in getting a ban on their profile. The Reddit Ghost Ban is very absurd for users to identify. On the very first place, you would never realize that your account has been seized or banned. Everything seems so normal. But unfortunately when you are banned your posts and updates shall not be visible to others on Reddit.
So basically, the Reddit ghost ban creates no nuisance for the user itself. The user continues to think that he or she is a registered member of the website. I am so knowledgeable about this because I am going through a Reddit ghost ban myself.
How I identified my Reddit ghost ban?
I realized it first when my Google analytics report started falling in the social referral section. Reddit is a master contributor to traffic and will quickly give you great returns if you follow their steps usefully. However, I forgot to look up their rule book and ended up having a ban on my account.
In my initial Reddit marketing days, I was acquiring at least 15-20 visits per day. Suddenly, I saw that my other social networks were becoming more active and Reddit was dropping. I thought maybe I needed to do more campaign son Reddit and started searching new and effective means on the Internet. I worked hard and invested more and more time on Reddit.
Gradually, I started realizing that no matter how much effort I put in my returns were not increasing. I was getting very demoralized because several other bloggers were gaining so much from Reddit. I started searching for more helpful articles that gave tips on Reddit marketing.
From one such article, I found out that connecting with Facebook users on Facebook groups is a good idea to boost other social media. So, I started searching for groups on Facebook that promotes Reddit posts. This is when I came to know that my account was suffering from a Reddit ghost ban.
My Reddit account when I logged in and viewed it –
My Reddit account to others –
I was totally unaware of what a Reddit ghost ban was. It was some kind of a ban, but what was it? Well, here’s what I gathered all about it –
- When I started using the Facebook group, I posted one of my posts for people to up vote on Reddit. I wanted more “link karma” on Reddit for better traffic.
- One of the co-members of the group told me that the “page URL was showing errors – not found”.
- Another person told me that my account was suspended and so there was nothing for others to upvote.
- I visited the link instantly, and was seeing the page intact. The page was well visible. I told them that they were having problems on their side. But one of the members told me that he was sure my account was blocked and that the URL couldn’t be reached.
- I quickly created another account and visited my registered profile URL. I was shocked. It was really blocked and showing some error.
So, I could make out few things from this –
- Reddit ghost ban does not make the user aware of it. Maybe this is their method of stopping users from creating multiple profiles / spamming.
I think this to be their method of preventing spam account creation. The reason for this is there are very few people who would actually realize that their account has been banned. SO, if they do not know about it; why would they create new accounts? Usually Internet users tend to do this. Whenever they see an account blocked they create a new one.
2 All your profile links become invisible when you face a Reddit ghost ban. No one would able to see them except you.
3. All you points and “karma” are gone forever. Because the admins at Reddit do not have the sympathy to re-activate ghost banned accounts.
4. Any normal activity in your account can be done. You would never feel that your work has been disturbed in any way.
5. That’s the magic. That is why they call it a Reddit ghost ban. The reason is your account will behave like a ghost. Visible to yourself and invisible to others.
So, how do we avoid a Reddit ghost ban?
The answers are not so simple!
Yes I know, you expected me to write – the answer is simple…but you see, I haven’t written that.
Reddit offers a few rules for new users to follow. Now if you think that you would not get hurt if you follow these rules; you’re partially mistaken.
Following these rules is extremely mandatory (I am suffering because I missed one of them). However, I have seen forums where several people have complained that even after abiding by all rules, they suffered a Reddit ghost ban.
The most amusing part of this article is that I am suffering from a Reddit ghost ban and I can offer no solution for curing it. LOL.
I have traversed through several forums and articles, and people have said you could contact the admins for getting your Reddit ghost ban lifted. I did. But, I can assure you like the several others on these forums, that the Reddit admins do not re-instantiate your account.
So what’s the solution when we are banned?
You have two possible options, very frankly –
- Create a new fresh account, and this time, make sure you know the Reddit rules well. Have a look at the Reddit FAQ as well.
- The other thing you can do is keep sending apology mails to the Reddit admins. Contact the admin people and see if they rescue you.
Well, that’s all from me. I would love to know from all you experienced and expert bloggers out there. Is there some other solution to get rid of a Reddit ghost ban? Please do share your knowledge in comments.