Once you know how to install wampserver, you would be able to run PHP based CMS and CRM locally on your computer. All PHP related websites and frameworks require you to create a server and server connection using a port.
This is achievable on you PC if you install wampserver. WAMP stands for Windows Apache MySQL and PHP/Perl/Python. So, once you install wampserver, you just need to start the software from your Windows computer. The port connections, PHP setup, MySQL setup, etc. are all taken care of automatically.
After you install wampserver, just use localhost as the URL and then your directory structure. Viola! Your website will be live. Just for your information, by website we mean also the backend.
What is wampserver and why is it required?
Static pages can be created with simple HTML and can run without apache or Tomcat. They do not require a server connectivity. Static pages do not require dynamic fetching from the database or server side based logic or conditional page navigation. All of these are applicable for dynamic web development.
When you install wampserver in your PC, what it does is, it converts your PC into a virtual server. Once your computer is converted in a virtual server, the port defined in apache configuration is used by your own computer or other computers on the network to access your local demo website folder as the website itself.
Your computer’s IP address behaves as the server and combined with the port address, it becomes the website or you could say, the “localhost” is a DNS resolved to your IP address and the port ID combined. So, anyone who accesses this over the network will find it like a website.
How to install wampserver quickly on Windows System?
Wampserver is a very powerful software and it’s extremely easy to install wampserver as well. Simply download the software from this link and then follow the below steps –
- Once the software has been downloaded, run the file (it is an executable file).
- Do check the version of the software that you are downloading. Also, the architecture. Based on whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit, the installation must be done accordingly.
- Once you run the executable, just follow the steps that pops up on the screen. You’ll be asked to select the path for installation, accept some agreements, etc. Wampserver is a freeware so there won’t be any option for license selection or something like that.
- Once option would come up saying, what is your default browser? The option by default will be set to “Explorer.exe”. Just let it be and click OK.
- That’s it. That is all the steps to install wampserver on a windows PC.
How to do a test run after you install wampserver in Windows?
Once installation is complete, you must try and run a demo webpage or website.
Step 1: If you already have a project with you – great! Otherwise, just try to create a simple PHP demo and run in wampserver. The folder must be located inside your WAMP installation folder. Remember the path that you supplied during the software installation?
Step 2: That path will have a folder inside it called “www”. Put your PHP project folder inside this folder.
Step 3: Start wampserver by clicking on the executable icon. Once the software starts, the icon will show up in the taskbar.
Step 4: After that, go to your browser, and type “localhost/” and then your project folder name. This will show up your project “index” page.
That’s it; all the steps required to install wampserver and run PHP on a windows system.